USS Vermont (Ship of the Line)
Authorized by Congress as one of the nine, 74-gun warships in 1816, Vermont was built and laid down in 1818 at the Boston Navy Yard, Boston, Massachusetts. Completed in 1825, she was launched in September 1848 but remained a non-commissioned ship until January 30, 1862, due to space and fire-safety concerns. Ordered to be a store and receving ship at Port Royal, South Carolina, during the Civil War, she encountered a gale and was damaged during her transit in late February. Eventually reaching her destination in April, Vermont anchored and served the South Atlantic Blockading Squadron. In July 1864, Secretary of the Navy Gideon Welles ordered her to the New York Navy Yard to serve as a store and receiving ship and remained there for the next 37 years and was housed over in the 1880s. Condemned in December 1901, Vermont was sold on April 17, 1902.
A model of Vermont can be found in The Forgotten Wars of the 19th Century section at the National Museum of the U.S. Navy.
Image: NH 57004: USS Vermont (1818-1902). Plan of spars and rigging by C. Ware, Boston Navy Yard, 1840. Original print is now at the National Archives. NHHC Photograph Collection.