USS Pueblo (AGER-2)
USS Pueblo was originally built in 1944 for the U.S. Army as cargo ship, FP-344, at Kewaunee, Wisconsin. In April 1966, she was transferred to the U.S. Navy and designated as light cargo ship (AKL-44). Converted to an environmental research ship, Pueblo received the designation of (AGER-2). Following her commissioning in May 1967 and subsequent training, she departed to gather intelligence off Asia. While off Wonsan, North Korea, on January 23, 1968, Pueblo was attacked by North Korean forces and seized. In the process, one crew member was killed with the remaining eighty-two men taken prisoner. North Korea viewed that the ship violated territorial waters. This claim was denied by the United States. The crew was repatriated on December 23, 1968. Retained by North Korea, Pueblo was exhibited at Wonsan and Hungnam until relocated to be a museum at Pyongyang. Pueblo is still the property of the U.S. Navy.
Image: 428-GX-KN-15717: USS Pueblo (AGER-2), starboard view while underway. Photograph received January 1968. Official U.S. Navy Photograph, now in the collections of the National Archives.