Commissioned on October 24, 1943, USS LCI(L)-10 was assigned to the European-Africa-Middle East Theatre, LCI Flotilla Two, during World War II. She participated in the North African Campaign, the Italian Campaign, and Operation Overlord (Normandy), assisting in the Red Beach assault. During the Invasion of Normandy, she was redesignated LCH-10. For D-Day, the U.S. employed 118 craft and the British Royal Navy deployed 130. Decommissioned in October of that year, she was leased to the Royal Navy and served as HMS LCI(L)-10. Returned to the U.S. Navy in April 1946, she was struck from the Navy List in June and transferred to the State Department in June 1947. Her final fate remains unknown. During her World War Ii service, she was awarded the Navy Unit Commendation and earned five battle stars.
Navy-designed (LCI) craft were launched by the hundreds. On the first version soldiers debarked by means of catwalks and ramps, but the later ones eliminated the ramps and used bow doors instead. The same hull was modified into mortar, gunboat and rocket versions to give direct fire support for amphibious assaults; others were altered for us as landing craft flotilla flagships. The 157 foot craft could make speeds up to 14 knots, had a crew of 24 officers and men, and four 20mm guns for armament.
A model of USS LCI(L)-10 was on display at the "In Harm's Way: Atlantic" exhibit at the National Museum of the U.S. Navy, Bldg. 76 until 2022.
This page features selected views of LCI (L) craft.
Image: 19-LCM-Box-450-LCI-748-2: USS LCI(L)-748, April 1944. Shown at Commercial Iron Works, Portland, Oregon, April 1944. Official Bureau of Ships photograph, now in the collections of the National Archives.