USS Improve (AM-247)
The Admirable-class minesweeper, USS Improve (AM-247), was commissioned on February 29, 1944, at Savannah Machine and Foundry Company, Savannah, Georgia. Following training duty at Mine Warfare School, Yorktown, Virginia, she departed first for minesweeping duty in the Mediterranean, mainly off the Italian and North African coasts. Returning to the United States in April 1945, she was ordered in July for duty in the Pacific. Arriving in November, she performed her minesweeping duties off Formosa and in the Pescadores. Returning to the United States in March 1946, Improve was decommissioned on November 6 and was sold for private service in February 1949.
A model of the minesweeper was on display In Harm's Way (Atlantic Section) at the National Museum of the U.S. Navy, Bldg. 46, until 2022.
Image: 80-G-325055: USS Improve (AM-247), June 21, 1945. Vertical view while off Norfolk, Virginia. Official U.S. Navy Photograph, now in the collections of the National Archives.