USS Albany (CA-123, later CG-10)
Originally built as the Oregon-City class heavy cruiser, USS Albany (CA-123), was commissioned on June 15, 1946, at Boston Navy Yard, Boston, Massachusetts. Initially operating in the Atlantic, she departed two years later to serve in the Mediterranean Sea and off South America. In June 1958, Albany was placed out of commission for conversion to a guided-missle cruiser, CG-10. Recommissioned as the lead-ship of her class on November 3, 1962, she served in the North Atlantic, Mediterranean Sea, and in the West Indies. Decommissioned in 1973, Albany was recommissioned a year later. In 1976, she became the flagship of the Sixth Fleet and was homeported in Gaeta, Italy, for the next four years. Decommissioned on August 29, 1980, Albany was held in the reserves until August 1990 when she was scrapped.
A model of Albany can be found in the America's Wars in Vietnam section of the National Museum of the U.S. Navy (Cold War Gallery).
Image: 428-GX-KN-4076: USS Albany (CG-10), conducting sea trials on October 18, 1962. Official U.S. Navy Photograph, now in the collections of the National Archives.