Reservations are requested for all groups wishing to visit the Museum to help ensure the highest quality experience for everyone. You will need a reservation if your group is larger than 10 people or
- will be arriving by motorcoach
- will be arriving by other large vehicles such as a school bus or 15-passenger van
To request a visit date and time for student groups (including public and private schools, tour companies, home schoolers, Scouts, and other youth groups) please call 847-688-3154 or email NHHC_NMAS@us.navy.mil. Our education department is happy to work with teachers and youth leaders to plan student visits. Museum educators can even provide specialized instruction upon request.
The National Museum of the American Sailor offers self-guided tours and docent-led guided tours for groups of ten or more. To request a reservation for adult groups (including reunions, diplomatic VIPs, church and senior groups), please submit a Tour Reservation Form to NHHC_NMAS@us.navy.mil.
Tour Reservation Forms can be downloaded here.
Important to Know
- Tours may be scheduled between 1000 – 1500, Tuesday through Saturday. Typically tours are 30-45 minutes in length.
- Bus drivers may first discharge their passengers at the entrance to the Museum and proceed to park in the Visitor’s Center Parking Lot. Bus drivers are welcome to visit the Museum, there is no entry fee.
- The Museum welcomes groups, but our ability to accommodate each group is greatly enhanced if we have an advance reservation. If possible, please make an advance reservation as there may be special events, ceremonies, or other activities in the Museum that can affect our ability to accommodate unscheduled groups. Regardless, we will do our very best to make the Museum a great experience for everyone.
- Depending upon availability, there are trained Volunteers and Docents stationed at posts throughout the Museum to answer questions and provide additional information about the museum and its exhibits.
Lost & Found
If after your visit to the Museum, you determine that you have lost a personal item while here, please send an e-mail to NHHC_NMAS@us.navy.mil with a description of the item. Items found at the Museum and its grounds are catalogued by the museum and placed in secure storage for 30 days. If unclaimed, the items are disposed of appropriately.
The National Museum of the American Sailor encourages you to take photographs and video during your visit. The Museum reserves the right to limit flash photography as needed to ensure that fragile objects are protected. Repeated use of your flash in crowded conditions may disturb other visitors. Please respect your fellow Museum visitors. Photographers using tri-pods or similar devices should be respectful of others. On especially busy days, the Museum may restrict use of such devices to ensure visitor safety and the flow of foot traffic throughout the galleries.