The National Museum of the American Sailor’s collections serve as research aids and reference materials for military and civilian researchers. Please know that while we have large collections of “boot camp” graduation company photographs and yearbooks, there are gaps in our coverage. If you have a research request, please send us an email a NHHC_NMAS@us.navy.mil to find out more about this process.
*Please note: The National Museum of the American Sailor is currently undergoing a collections inventory project to help us define strengths and weaknesses in the collections. During this time, the museum will be unable to answer research requests related to Keels, cruisebooks, and boot camp company photographs. We appreciate your patience and continued support for the preservation of the history and heritage of the American Sailor.
The National Museum of the American Sailor does not have information on specific sailors. For those records, please contact one of the following:
- A sailor’s military service record may be requested by their next of kin via the National Archives. To learn more about how to start this process, please watch our Collections Conversations video: "Requesting Service Records."
- Navy military personnel and nonjudicial punishment records of discharged veterans from 1998 to present may be requested from Naval Personnel Command Pers.
- Military Personnel and Medical Records (Navy/Marine Corps) of discharged veterans prior to 1998 may be requested from National Personnel Records Center (NPRC).
The National Museum of the American Sailor makes its collections available for any lawful purpose, commercial or non-commercial, without licensing or permission fees to the museum, subject to the following terms and conditions:
- Use of reproductions of the National Museum of the American Sailor collection items are at the user’s sole risk.
- Researchers are responsible for determining whether the material is protected by copyright law or other restrictions and acquiring the appropriate permissions for use from any rights holders.
- The National Museum of the American Sailor shall not be responsible or liable for any claim of infringement or damage that may occur owing to the use of any material that the National Museum of the American Sailor makes available.
- Reproduced materials shall be accompanied by credit line: “Courtesy of the National Museum of the American Sailor.”
- Researchers must fill out the Notification of Publication form.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the Museum at 847-688-3154 or NHHC_NMAS@us.navy.mil for further assistance.