As an official Department of the Navy Museum under the Naval History and Heritage Command, the National Museum of the American Sailor’s mission is to collect, preserve, and interpret the history of the United States Navy’s Enlisted Sailor for the benefit of the US. Navy and the people of the United States. NMAS will fulfill this mission by:
- Serving as a vital part of the heritage training process for all Navy recruits and connecting them to the Navy’s long tradition of Honor, Courage, and Commitment. The institution also plays an important role in the Navy community by hosting naval traditions and activities that promote Naval Heritage to the greater community.
- Collecting and exhibiting United States Naval history that is accurate, complete and unbiased.
- Preserving the physical legacy and historical experiences of the Navy’s Enlisted Sailor for the benefit of the United States Navy and the general public.
- Anticipating the United States Navy’s future historical needs by creating strategies and policies for the selection and acquisition of historical material.
- Developing innovative and inspirational educational programs and exhibits that broaden and deepen public knowledge and appreciation of the significance of the United States Sailor.