The U.S. Naval Undersea Museum welcomes new volunteers to our team! Read on to learn about our volunteer opportunities, and whether this could be a good fit for you.
Do Any of These Statements Apply to You?
- I’m looking for a way to share my passion for the Navy, submarine technology, torpedoes, diving, or the engineering concepts behind all of these subjects.
- I want to support access to self-paced (informal) science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics education for school-age kids and their families.
- I want to spend a few hours a week or a month doing something different – with the opportunity to learn something new and meet new people while also supporting my local community.
- I know someone who is looking to enhance their resume with retail or customer service experience in a low-stress environment over the summer.
- I know someone else who is looking for a way to do the above!
If you identify with any of these, we invite you to join our volunteer team – or share information about our program with those people you are thinking of!
Click on a position title below if you want more details on what to expect. Then, go to the application page when you are ready to apply!
After the museum receives your application, we will set up an interview with you. We also complete a background check, orientation session, and training sessions to get you off to a good start!
For questions or more information about our volunteer opportunities, contact the museum’s volunteer coordinator via email or by calling (360) 396-4148.
MUSEUM ATTENDANT OPPORTUNITY DESCRIPTION
STORE ATTENDANT OPPORTUNITY DESCRIPTION
Impact of Volunteering
Volunteers make all the difference to a visitor’s experience at the museum. The museum consistently receives high visitor ratings due in part to our amazing volunteer team. Volunteers serve as the main point of contact with the public by meeting and greeting visitors and providing general information about the museum. Also, volunteers operate the museum’s store. Occasionally, the museum asks for support for special one-day programs and other short-term projects.
Training and Eligibility
- Museum volunteers are asked to contribute at least six hours of time per month, generally between the hours of 10am-4pm.
- Benefits include a discount in the museum store, access to local installation tours, and participation in annual volunteer appreciation events.
- Orientation and position training are provided.
- After applying, an interview and background check will be completed.
- Consider applying with your friends, partner, or spouse if you are looking for a way to spend quality time together out in the community.
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years old, and those between the ages of 16-18 require parental permission.
- Court-ordered community service requirements cannot be accommodated by the U.S. Naval Undersea Museum.