(YW-53: displacement 712 (loaded); capacity 140,000 gallons (water), 43,625 gallons (gasoline); length 110'7"; beam 34'7")
Authorized on 19 December 1930, the steel hull, welded construction, non-self-propelled water barge YW-53 was constructed at the Norfolk (Va.). Completed on 30 April 1933, YW-53 was initially assigned to the service craft assigned to the Fifth Naval District. By 17 October 1940, it was assigned to the Fifteenth Naval District. It remained in those waters through the end of World War II and into the immediate postwar period.
The office of the Chief of Naval Operations deemed YW-53 “surplus to naval needs and [thus]…now available for disposal” on 31 January 1946, and authorized the Commandant of the Fifteenth Naval District to deliver it to the Foreign Liquidation Commission. Although its service life had been estimated at 25 years (the barge was slated for replacement in 1958), YW-53 was sold on 18 October 1946, and stricken from the Naval Register on 28 January 1947.
Robert J. Cressman