Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Related Content
Topic
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

YW-50

1923–1942

(YW-50: capacity 14,100 gallons; length 54'6"; breadth 20'0")

The unnamed non-self-propelled, wooden-hulled water barge YW-50 was completed at the U.S. Naval Station, Guam, in 1923. Converted to a lighter after its water tank slid overboard, it was due for replacement in 1943.

The Japanese invasion of Guam on 10 December 1941 and the ensuing occupation of the island prompted the Navy to consider this district craft, assigned to Naval Station, Guam, as lost, and it was accordingly stricken from the Navy List on 24 July 1942.

Robert J. Cressman

Published: Mon Jul 11 08:53:41 EDT 2016