Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Related Content
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Yukon III (T-AO-202)


The third U.S. Navy ship named for that river that rises in the Yukon Territory of Canada, then crosses the border into Alaska, and flows on to empty in the Bering Sea.


(T-AO-202: displacement 9,500; length 677'; beam 97'; draft 35'; speed 20 knots; complement 103; armament 1 .50-caliber machine gun, 2 20 millimeter Phalanx CIWS; class Henry J. Kaiser)

The third Yukon (AO-202) was laid down on 13 May 1991 at New Orleans, La., by Avondale Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 6 February 1993; sponsored by Mrs. Belinda Hidalgo, wife of former Secretary of the Navy Edward Hidalgo, and entered non-commissioned U.S. Navy service (designated as T-AO-202) under the control of the Military Sealift Command, with a primarily civilian crew on 25 March 1994. She serves in the U.S. Pacific Fleet.

On 27 February 2000, Yukon collided with a smaller civilian cargo ship while entering the port of Dubai in the Persian Gulf.

On 13 July 2000, Yukon collided with the amphibious transport dock Denver (LPD-9) during an underway replenishment (unrep) about 180 nautical miles west of Hawaii. No one on either vessel was injured and there were no fuel leaks, but Yukon suffered major damage, including several large holes and dents above the water line on her starboard quarter, while a 40-foot hole was torn in Denver’s bow from the second deck to the waterline. The investigation into the accident found Denver responsible. Both ships went to the Pearl Harbor Naval Shipyard, Hi. for repairs. Yukon then transited to San Francisco, Ca. for further repairs at the same time as her scheduled routine overhaul. Yukon returned to service in January 2001.

On 16 May 2012, Yukon collided with amphibious assault ship Essex (LHD-2) after the latter suffered an apparent steering malfunction during an unrep. There were no injuries and no loss of fuel was reported. Both vessels continued on to San Diego, Ca. under their own power. The crew of the Essex was found at fault.

Detailed history under construction.

Paul J. Marcello

23 November 2015

Published: Wed Nov 25 09:25:33 EST 2015