(Tug: dp. 300; 1. 116'; b. 21'; dr. 9' (mean); s. 12 k.; cpl. 46; a. 2 1-pdrs., 1 mg.)
The second Vigilant, originally named George W. Pride, was an iron-hulled, screw tug laid down in 1883 at Philadelphia, Pa., by William Cramp and Sons, and completed in 1888. She was acquired by the Navy from John D. Spreckels Brothers' Co., of San Francisco, at the outset of the Spanish-American War, and was commissioned on 6 April 1898.
Vigilant was stationed in the San Francisco region from 1898 to 1927, operating either at the Yerba Buena Naval Station or the Naval Training Station, San Francisco. Classified as YT-25 on 17 July 1920, Vigilant's decommissioning date is uncertain. She was struck from the Navy list on 26 November 1927 and was sold to the Gary Davis Tug and Barge Co., of Seattle, Wash., on 25 April 1928.