(DD-828: dp. 2,420; 1. 391'0"; b. 41'0"; dr. 19'0"; s. 40 k. (tl.); cpl. 367; a. 6 5", 12 40mm., 10 20mm.; cl. Gearing)
Grant F. Timmerman, born on 14 February 1919 in Americus, Kansas, enlisted in the United States Marine Corps on 28 October 1937. He served at various Marine Corps posts and stations on the west coast and in China before the outbreak of World War II.
Sergeant Timmerman participated in the invasion and capture of Tarawa in November 1943 as a member of the 2d Marine Division. In June and July 1944, he served as a tank commander with the 2d Battalion, 6th Marines, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Saipan. Sergeant Timmerman was awarded the Bronze Star Medal for his conduct on 15 and 16 June 1944. His citation reads: "Continuously exposed to shattering blasts from Japanese mortars during hazardous night and day landing operations, Sergeant Timmerman steadfastly manned his gun and delivered vigorous, accurate fire against bitter enemy counterattacks, thereby assisting vitally in the maintenance of our position."
Sergeant Timmerman was posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life during action against Japanese forces on 8 July 1944. "Advancing with his tank a few yards ahead of the infantry in support of a vigorous attack on hostile positions, Sergeant Timmerman maintained steady fire from his antiaircraft sky mount machinegun until progress was impeded by a series of enemy trenches and pillboxes. Observing a target of opportunity, he immediately ordered the tank stopped and, mindful of the danger from the muzzle blast as he prepared to open fire with the 75-mm. [gun], fearlessly stood up in the turret and ordered the infantry to hit the deck. Quick to act as a grenade, hurled by the Japanese, was about to drop into the open turret hatch, Sergeant Timmerman unhesitatingly blocked the opening with his body, holding the grenade against his chest and taking the brunt of the explosion. His exceptional valor and loyalty in saving his men at the cost of his own life reflect the highest credit upon Sergeant Timmerman and the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life in the service of his country."
Timmerman (DD-828) was laid down on 1 October 1954 at Bath, Maine, by the Bath Iron Works; assigned to the Atlantic Reserve Fleet on 19 November 1945; launched on 19 May 1951; sponsored by Mrs. Fred Timmerman; and commissioned on 26 September 1952, Comdr. Edward E. Hoffman in command.
Timmerman was constructed as an experimental, light weight, advanced design destroyer to test and evaluate, under operating conditions, advanced design experimental engineering equipment. As a unit of the Operational Development Force, 1st Naval District, Boston, she tested her new propulsion system for the next four years. On 11 January 1954, her designation was changed to AG-152, a miscellaneous auxiliary ship.
The ship was decommissioned at Boston on 27 July 1956. She was moved to Philadelphia in September and assigned to the Reserve Fleet. In early 1958, Timmerman was declared unfit for further service and struck from the Navy list on 4 April 1958. On 21 April
1959, she was sold to the Boston Metals Co., Baltimore, Md., and scrapped.