(AOG-41: dp. 2,270; 1. 220'6"; b. 37'; dr. 13'1"; s. 10 k.; cpl. 62; a. 1 3", 2 40mm.; cl. Mettawee; T. Tl-M-A2)
A river in South Dakota.
Tetonkaha (AOG-41) was laid down under Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 2067) on 27 September 1944 at Bayonne, N.J., by the East Coast Shipyard, Inc.; launched on 29 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. J. Scatorwa; and commissioned on 8 December 1944, Lt. Paul J. Hall, USNR, in command.
Tetonkaha departed New York harbor on 30 December 1944 for Hampton Roads; arrived at Norfolk on New Year's Day, 1945; and began her nine-day shakedown the next day. The gasoline tanker stood out to sea on 2 February and headed for the Netherlands West Indies. Tetonkaha arrived at Aruba on the 10th; loaded a cargo of aviation gasoline and diesel oil; headed for the California coast; and arrived at San Diego on 1 March. Two days later, the ship proceeded westward to Hawaii and reported to Service Squadron 8 for duty on 14 March.
Tetonkaha supplied aviation gas to outlying islands in the Hawaiian group until August when she began making shuttle runs to Johnston Island. After Service Squadron 8 was dissolved on 1 September, the tanker continued on the Johnston shuttle for the 14th Naval District. Tetonkaha was relieved of duty on 6 November and returned to San Francisco in December 1945. She was decommissioned at Mare Island on 22 January 1946; stripped; struck from the Navy list on 12 March; and transferred to the Maritime Commission on 1 July 1946. In 1949, the ship was sold to the Sun Oil Co., Philadelphia, Pa., and renamed Maumee Sun.