(Bomb Ketch: t. 92; cpl. 25; a. 1 13" M., 2 long 9-pdrs.)
The second Spitfire, a merchant sloop built in Connecticut in 1803, was purchased by the Navy at Boston on 25 April 1805; was commissioned the same day; and converted to a bomb ketch by the Boston Navy Yard.
Commanded by Midshipman Daniel McNeill, Jr., Spitfire sailed for the Mediterranean on 23 June 1805 and reached Gibraltar on 1 August. The bomb ketch operated in the Mediterranean supporting American operations against the Barbary powers until sailing for home on 3 June 1806. She arrived at Charleston on 19 July and was placed in ordinary at Norfolk on 3 August 1806.
The ship reactivated in July 1807 under command of Midshipman F. Cornelius de Kroff but remained at Norfolk until laid up again in December. The ship was broken up at the Norfolk Navy Yard in 1820.