Spartanburg County (LST-1192) (q.v.) was named after a county in South Carolina. She was laid down on 7 February 1970 at San Diego, Calif., by the National Steel & Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 7 November 1970; sponsored by Mrs. Neville Holcombe; and commissioned on 1 September 1971, Comdr. P. R. Royse in command.
Following commissioning, Spartanburg County transited the Panama Canal to her new home port, Little Creek, Va., where she was assigned to the Amphibious Force, Atlantic Fleet. Here, the tank landing ship commenced an operating cycle consisting of amphibious training exercises along the east coast of the United States and in the Caribbean interspersed with scheduled deployments to the Mediterranean. Spartanburg County maintained this cycle into 1980.