(DE-745: dp. 1,240; l. 306'; b. 36'7"; dr. 11'8"; s. 20.9 k.; cpl. 216; a. 3 3", 2 40mm., 10 20mm., 2 dct., 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.), 3 21" tt; cl. Cannon)
Russell Snyder, born on 29 October 1915 in Corbin, Ky., enlisted in the United States Naval Reserve on 30 August 1937. After undergoing eliminination flight training at Robertson, Mo., he was appointed an aviation cadet and received further flight training at Pensacola, Fla. He was appointed a naval aviator on 8 December 1938 and promoted to Ensign on 28 August 1939.
Ensign Snyder was killed in action in December 1941 while attached to Patrol Squadron 101 in the Pacific.
Snyder (DE-745) was laid down on 28 April 1943 by Western Pipe and Steel Co., San Pedro, Calif.; launched on 29 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Lillian J. Snyder; and commissioned on 5 May 1944, Lt. Comdr. E. Moore, USNR, in command.
After undergoing shakedown in the San Diego area, Snyder sailed to San Francisco in early July. The destroyer escort joined Task Unit (TU) 16.1.5 there and departed for Pearl Harbor on 11 July. From 1 August to 6 October 1944, Snyder made escort tries to Eniwetok, Manus Island, Saipan, and Kwajalein. She joined Task Group (TG) 12.3 and conducted hunter-killer operations on the San Francisco-Pearl Harbor-Eniwetok sea lanes until mid-February 1945.
Snyder's task group spent much of March searching for Lt. Gen. Millard F. Harmon, Commanding General, Army Air Forces, Pacific Ocean Areas, whose plane was lost at sea. She then resumed hunter-killer operations. In May, the escort joined a convoy en route from Saipan to Okinawa. On the 11th and 12th, she screened Hadley (DD-774) and Evans (DD-552), which had been damaged by kamikazes northwest of Okinawa, and escorted them to le Shima. The escort then joined the picket screen around Okinawa until 29 May. From 2 to 23 June, Snyder operated with TU 31.1.1, composed of seven escort carriers, which was providing air support for American forces fighting on southern Okinawa. In July and August, she performed antisubmarine patrols in the waters near Guam.
When hostilities with Japan ceased, Snyder proceeded to Saipan. In 18 September, she screened a convoy of 21 transports from Saipan to Nagasaki. On 18 October, the ship sailed for the west coast via Pearl Harbor. She was rerouted to the east coast for decommissioning and arrived at Norfolk in December 1945. She was then towed to Green Cove Springs, Fla., where she lay with the reserve fleet until October 1946.
On 10 October, Snyder was towed to New York and placed in commission, in reserve, as a training ship for the 3d Naval District. She served in this capacity until May 1950, when she was placed in full commission for use in the Reserve Training Program. On 1 July 1957, Snyder was transferred to the Destroyer Force, Atlantic Fleet, but continued to operate as a Naval Reserve training ship.
Snyder was again placed in reserve, out of commission, on 5 May 1960 and berthed at Philadelphia, Pa. She was struck from the Navy list on 1 August 1972 and sold to North American Smelting Co., Wilmington, Del., for scrap.
Snyder received one battle star for World War II service.