Anarhichas Lupus, a fish known for its ferocious nature. The third U.S. Navy ship (all submarines) named Seawolf. The first Seawolf (SS-197) served from 1939–1945, and the second (SSN-575) from 1957–1987. Seawolf (Submarine Torpedo Boat No. 28), authorized on 3 March 1909, was renamed H-1 on 17 November 1911, two years before she was commissioned, and thus never served under the name.
(SSN-21: displacement 9,137; length 353'; beam 40'; draft 36'; speed 25 knots; complement 116; armament UGM-109 Tomahawk cruise missiles,UGM-84 Harpoon anti-ship missiles, and Mk 48 Advanced Capability torpedoes, eight torpedo tubes; class Seawolf)
The third Seawolf (SSN-21) was laid down at General Dynamics Electric Boat, Groton, Conn.; launched on 24 June 1995; sponsored by Mrs. Margaret O. Dalton, wife of Secretary of the Navy John H. Dalton; and commissioned at Naval Submarine Base New London, Conn., on 19 July 1997, Capt. David M. McCall in command.
Seawolf shifted from the Atlantic Fleet to the Pacific Fleet when she changed her home port from Naval Submarine Base New London, Conn., to Naval Base Kitsap, Wash., from 15 June–22 July 2007.
Detailed history under construction.
Mark L. Evans
20 July 2015