A city located in northeastern Pennsylvania.
(Steamer: displacement 6,655; length 429'2"; beam 53'6"; draft 29'6"; speed 15 knots; complement 94; armament 7 .50 cal. machine guns)
The first Scranton (Id. No. 3511) was built by the Maryland Steel Co., Sparrows Point, Md., in 1913, for the American-Hawaiian Steamship Co. She served that line as the Pennsylvanian until 13 September 1918 when she was taken over by the Navy at New York, N.Y.; renamed Scranton and commissioned a Naval Overseas Transportation Service (NOTS) ship.
Scranton was refitted, refurnished, and classified as an animal transport. She loaded general cargo and sailed for Brest, France, on 30 September. She arrived there on 15 October and, the following day, proceeded to La Pallice where she discharged her cargo. On 5 November, she sailed for New York.
Scranton arrived on the 15th and was docked for repairs and the installation of horse stalls. On 12 December, she sailed for St. Nazaire, France, arriving there on the 29th. She returned to New York on 29 January 1919. Scranton was detached from NOTS on 5 February and assigned to the Cruiser and Transport Force. She made three round trips to France, returning approximately 6,000 troops and passengers to the United States.
Scranton was turned over to the United States Shipping Board on 16 July 1919 and subsequently returned to the American-Hawaiian Steamship Co. She again operated as Pennsylvanian until 16 July 1944 when she was sunk by the United States Navy at San Lorenzo, France.
The name Scranton was assigned to PF-63 on 25 June 1943, but the ship was renamed Moberly (g.v.) on 28 June 1944.
Scranton (CA-138), a 13,700-ton, Oregon City-class, heavy cruiser, was laid down on 27 December 1944 by the Philadelphia Navy Yard. Her construction was canceled on 12 August 1945 and her unlaunched hull was scrapped on the slipway.