(Submarine No. 101: displacement 495 (surfaced), 576 (submerged); length 175-; beam 16-8-; draft 13-11- (mean); speed 14 knots (surfaced), 11 knots (submerged); complement 29; armament 1 3-, 4 21- torpedo tubes; class R-21)
R-24 (Submarine No. 101) was laid down 9 May 1919 [sic; 1917] by the Lake Torpedo Boat Co., Bridgeport, Conn.; launched 21 August 1918; sponsored by Mrs. Edmund R. Norton; and commissioned 27 June 1919, Lt. Comdr. Andrew C. Bennett in command.
After 4 months of coastal operations off southern New England, R-24 got underway for her homeport, Coco Solo, C.Z., on 1 November. Based there for her active service, she was designated SS-101 in July 1920 and at the end of 1921 she returned to the United States for a shipyard overhaul. In the fall of 1922, she resumed operations out of Coco Solo and Balboa. A year later she again sailed to the United States for a shipyard overhaul and at the end of 1924 she returned for inactivation. On 25 January 1925, she arrived at Philadelphia and on 11 June she was decommissioned. R-24 was berthed at League Island for the next 5 years. On 9 May 1930 she was struck from the Navy list and in July was sold for scrapping.