(SwStr: t. 212; a. 2 30-pdr. P.r., 2 32-pdrs., 4 24-pdr. how.)
A former name retained.
Queen City, a wooden, side wheel steamer, was purchased by the Navy at Cincinnati, Ohio, from Samuel Wiggins, 13 February 1863; and commissioned at Cincinnati 1 April 1863, Acting Master Jason Goudy in command.
The "tinclad" gunboat (No. 26) operated tip the Tennessee River supporting Army operations in the area through the spring. In the summer she transferred to the Mississippi and patroled the river protecting Union lines of supply and communications. On 13 October she departed Helena, Ark., and carried troops to Friar's Point, Miss., where they landed and surrounded the town. The next morning they seized a large quantity of cotton.
In ensuing months, she continued operations along the rivers of Arkansas. Off Clarendon, Ark., 24 June, two regiments of Confederate cavalry supported by artillery attacked Queen City disabling the paddle wheel steamer arid forcing her commander to surrender. When Tyler attempted to recover the ship, the Confederates blew her up.