(APA-88: dp. 6,800 (f.); l. 426-; b. 58-; dr. 15-6-; s. 17 k.; cpl. 320; trp. 849; a. 1 5-, 8 40mm., 10 20mm.; cl. Gilliam; T. S4-SE2-BD1)
A county in Texas.
Presidio (APA-88) was laid down 6 December 1944 by the Consolidated Steel Co., Wilmington, Calif., under Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 1881); launched 17 February 1945; sponsored by Mrs. J. K. Harbert; delivered to the Navy 8 April 1945; and commissioned 9 April 1945, Lt. Comdr. Edgar Johnson in command.
Following shakedown and amphibious training off California, Presidio departed the west coast, 5 June 1945, for Hawaii, whence she carried men and equipment to Eniwetok and Kwajalein. Returning to Eniwetok, she sailed again 13 July and on the 17th rendezvoused with units of the 3d Fleet to transfer cargo and personnel as that fleet continued to move against the enemy's home islands. Following that underway replenishment, she returned to Eniwetok, completed a run to Ulithi and Leyte, then got underway for another transfer of men and materiel at sea. On 17 August, 2 days after the cessation of hostilities, she rendezvoused with TG 38.3, then continued on to Eniwetok whence she steamed to Japan, arriving in Tokyo Bay 15 September to commence "Magic Carpet" duty. For the next seven months she plied the Pacific, carrying occupation personnel to Okinawa and Japan and bringing veterans back to the United States. Designated for inactivation in the spring of 1946, she decommissioned at Pearl Harbor 20 June. Towed back to San Francisco the following year, she was struck from the Navy List 1 August 1947 and transferred to the Maritime Commission at Suisun Bay 2 September 1947.
Presidio was awarded one battle star for World War II service.