(AM-375: dp. 1,250 (f.); l. 221-1-; b. 32-2-; dr. 10-9-; s. 18 k.; cpl. 117; a. 1 3-, 2 40mm; cl. Auk)
A heavy-bodied diving duck.
Pochard (AM-375) was laid down by Savannah Machine and Foundry Co., Savannah, Ga. 10 February 1944; launched 11 June 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Mary E. Kennard; and commissioned 27 November 1944, Lt. Comdr. David D. Long, USNR, in command.
After fitting out and shakedown, she departed Norfolk for the Canal Zone 19 February 1945 escorting Shellback. She then proceeded to San Francisco and San Diego, and sailed for Pearl Harbor; Eniwetok, Marshall Islands; and Guam; arriving Okinawa 28 June. During July and August she conducted minesweeping operations around Kerama Retto.
On 22 August Pochard was assigned to Commander 3d Fleet, and proceeded to Tokyo Bay, arriving on the 29th. She remained in Tokyo Bay only a short period before sailing for Okinoyama Shoals, Sagami Wan, to conduct mine sweeping operations. Pochard remained in the Far East conducting minesweeping operations until 26 March 1946. She then returned to the United States for inactivation, decommissioning 15 January 1947.
Pochard was berthed at San Diego as a unit of the Pacific Reserve Fleet until recommissioned 27 February 1952. On 19 May she reported for duty with the Atlantic Fleet, at Charleston, whence she operated alternating East Coast and Caribbean cruises with Mediterranean deployments until 1955. Reclassified MSF-375, 7 February 1955, she was placed in reserve in June and decommissioned 3 August. Assigned to the Florida Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet, she was berthed at Green Cove Springs until struck from the Navy List 1 December 1966 and sold for scrap.
Pochard received three battle stars for World War II service.