(AMc-1: dp. 210; l. 83-11-; b. 22-6-; s. 10 k.; a. 2 .30 cal. Mg.; cl. Pipit)
Small bird with narrow bill, streaked breast, and stantly wagging tail.
The first Pipit (AMc-1) was built as Spartan in 1936 by Martinolich Shipyard, Tacoma, Wash.; acquired by the Navy at San Diego, Calif., 18 October 1940, by purchase from Mr. Anton Sumic; conversion by Wilmington Boat Works, San Pedro, Calif. completed 22 March 1941; and placed in service 28 March 1941.
Assigned to the 15th Naval District, Pipit departed San Diego, Calif., 10 May 1941. She arrived and reported for duty in the Panama Canal Zone 22 May 1941. From then until August 1944, Pipit performed coastal minesweeping duties for the Panamanian Sea Frontier.
Following departure from Balboa, Canal Zone, Pipit arrived at San Diego, Calif., 26 August 1944. Placed out of service 6 October 1944, she was struck from the Naval List 22 December 1944 and returned to her owner by the War Shipping Administration.
Pipit (AM-420) was named on 17 May 1945, but construction of this Admirable class minesweeper was cancelled 11 August 1945.