(AMS-198: displacement 362; length 144'3"; beam 27'2"; draft 12'; speed 13.6 knots; complement 40; armament 2 20 millimeter, 2 .50 cal. machine guns, one 81 millimeter mortar; class Falcon)
A bird noted for its colorful tail feathers.
The fourth Peacock was laid down as AMS-198 on 29 January 1953 by Harbor Boat Building Co., Terminal Island, Calif.; launched 19 June 1954; sponsored by Miss B. Rechenmacher; reclassified MSC-198 on 7 February 1955; and commissioned 16 March 1955, Lt. (j.g.) D. E. Crawley in command.
Upon completion of fitting out, Peacock conducted training and minesweeping exercises along the California coast until 4 February 1956, when she departed for her first deployment to the Far East. While overseas, Peacock participated in several joint exercises with Allied navies, participated in "Market Time" operations off Vietnam and made port calls in the Far East. She has remained overseas since her first depolyment and has continued in the same pattern as her first deployment into 1970.