Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
  • Boats-Ships--Amphibious Warfare Ships
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Partridge III (LCIL–1001)

(LCIL-1001: dp. 260; l. 159'; b. 23'8"; dr. 5'8"; s. 14.4 k.; cpl. 41; a. 2 20mm.; cl. LCIL-351)

Any of various gallinaceous birds, such as the ruffed grouse or bob-white quail, found in North America.

III

The third Partridge was laid down as LCIL-1001 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Orange, Tex. 18 April 1944; launched 13 May and commissioned 10 June 1944; After shakedown in the Gulf of Mexico, she operated in that area and along the east coast until she decommissioned at Green Cove Springs, Fla. in March 1947.

Reclassified LSIL-1001 in 1949, she recommissioned in 1950. Based at Norfolk, she served as a training ship for auxiliary minesweeper crews. Scheduled for conversion to a minehunter, she was named Partridge and reclassified AMCU-36 on 7 March 1952. However, her conversion was cancelled and she was reclassified and renamed LSIL-1001 in July 1954. Decommissioned in early 1956, she was struck from the Navy List 7 August 1956 and scrapped.

Published: Tue Aug 18 14:37:51 EDT 2015