Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Palisade (AM-270)

1944-1957

A general word classification.

(AM-270: displacement 647 (trial); length 184'6"; beam 33'; draft 9'9"; speed 14.8 knots; complement 104; armament 1 3-inch, 2 40 millimeter, 6 20 millimeter, 3 depth charge projectors, 2 depth charge tracks, class Admirable)

Palisade (AM-270) was laid down on 21 September 1942 at Chickasaw, Ala., by the Gulf Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 26 June 1943; sponsored by Mrs. W. C. Ellis; and commissioned on  9 March 1944, Lt. Cmdr. W. H. Rothwell in command.

Following shakedown, Palisade conducted sweeping operations in Argentia, Newfoundland, as part of Mine Squadron 33 then was fitted out as a temporary weather ship. She patrolled in the North Atlantic in that capacity for the remainder of the year with occasional calls at east coast ports in the United States. In January 1945 she was refitted with minesweeping equipment and after overhaul in Philadelphia deployed to the Panama Canal Zone 27 February.

Transiting the Canal on 8 March 1945, she proceeded thence to Seattle, Wash., where she prepared for transfer under Lend-Lease to the Soviet navy in Project Hula. Palisade sailed for Kodiak, Alaska, on 7 April, then proceeded to Cold Bay, Alaska. The first weeks of May were spent in familiarization exercises for the benefit of the new crew. Palisade was decommissioned on 21 May and was transferred to the Soviet Union.

Designated as a minesweeper, Palisade was classified T- (for tralshik, or minesweeper) 279 . Although she never returned to the U.S. Navy, she was reclassified to MSF-270 in February 1955. She remained in Soviet hands until stricken in 1957.

 

Published: Mon Apr 04 11:04:07 EDT 2016