Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Related Content
  • Boats-Ships--Support Ships
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Oxford I (APA-189)

(APA-189: dp. 6,878; l. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; a. 17.7 k.; cpl. 536; a. 1 5", 12 40mm.; cl. Haskell; T. VC2-S-AP5)

Towns, cities, and counties in Alabama, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisianna, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.


The first Oxford (APA-189) was laid down 17 April 1944 as M.C. Hull 657 by Kaiser Shipbuilding Co., Vancouver, Wash.; launched 12 July; underwent trials prior to acceptance by the Navy; and commissioned 11 September at the Naval Station, Astoria, Oregon, Comdr. Paul S. Crandall in command.

After a brief fitting out period and shakedown in the Seattle and San Diego areas, Oxford embarked 1,478 troops at San Francisco and steamed for the Southwest Pacific 26 October 1944. She arrived Finschhafen, New Guinea 12 November, and then operated between Hollandia and Noumea, New Caledonia, as well as between Florida and Mantis Islands.

Oxford participated in landing operations in Lingayen Gulf, Luzon, P.I. 11-13 January 1945 as a unit of TG 77.9. She then continued to transport troops between Leyte, Manus, and Wakde Islands. She also provided troop transport services during the initial landings at Okinawa 1-5 April, after which she steamed to Guam, to Pearl Harbor, and finally to San Francisco, arriving 11 May to embark replacement troops.

One week later she again steamed for the Southwest Pacific, this time to the Carolines, the Philippines, New Guinea, and Eniwetok, which she reached 22 July. On the 24th, she departed in company with three other ships for San Francisco, but two days out she had to put in at Midway to repack her stern tube. She then steamed independently for San Francisco 29 July but, enroute was diverted to San Pedro, where she tied up the second week of August.

After voyage repairs at Todd Shipyard, San Pedro, and assumption of command by Captain J. C. Goodnough, Oxford called at both San Diego and San Francisco. She departed 23 August for Eniwetok with Army replacement troops. After calls at Ulithi, Manila, Subic Bay, and Japanese ports, Oxford returned to San Francisco in late November.

In January 1946 Oxford was released from the naval service for postwar disposal. Assigned to Commander, 5th Naval District, she arrived Norfolk, Va. 26 February, decommissioned 17 April, was redelivered to WSA the next day, and was struck from the Navy List 1 May.

Oxford received one battle star for World War II service.

Published: Tue Aug 18 09:23:09 EDT 2015