(LCI(L)-982: dp. 209 'l. 159'; b. 23'8"; dr. 5'8"; a. 14.4 k.; cpl. 40; a. 5 209 cl. LCI(L)-351)
A nocturnal bird of prey.
LCI(L)-982 was laid down 23 March 1944 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Orange, Texas; launched 18 April 1944; and commissioned 16 May 1944, Lt. (j.g.) L. R. Dawson in command.
After conducting landing exercises and other aspects of her shakedown, LCI(L)-982 departed Galveston, Tex., 10 June 1944, enroute to the southwest Pacific war zone. Transiting the Panama Canal 19 June she sailed the southern route to the Admirality Islands arriving Manus early in August. For six weeks she supported operations at Humboldt and Maffin Bays, New Guinea prior to steaming 16 October for the Leyte, Philippines invasion scene.
From this base she embarked elements of the 503rd Parachute Reg., 24th Inf. who first stepped ashore at Mindoro, 15 December. Early in January 1945 her LCI(L) Group 45 loaded rangers of the 6th Battalion who landed 10 January via Army DUKS on Blue Beach, Lingayen Gulf, Luzon, where high surf proved more of an obstacle than the Japanese. Employed on inter-Philippine island logistic missions until the end of the war, LCI(L) Group 45 then came under control of Commander, Yangtze Patrol. Sailing via Okinawa, she arrived Shanghai early in October but on the 10th was redirected to Ningpoo. Here troops of the 70th Chinese Army boarded and 2 days later debarked to complete the occupation of Formosa.
Not involved in further troop movements, she departed the China coast 1 December. Again transiting the Panama Canal LCI(L)-982 reported at Green Cove Springs, Fla. 20 May 1946 and decommissioned 24 June joining the 16th Reserve Fleet.
Reclassified first in 1949 as LSIL-982, the Korean conflict brought conversion at Charleston, S.C. to an AMCU and a recommissioning 19 December 1953. Owl (AMCU-35) departed January 1954 for the 15th Naval District arriving Balboa, Panama Canal Zone 5 February. Beside serving as a mine hunting harbor defense ship she conducted a 2 week Reserve Training cruise to Cartegena, Colombia in December 1954. Reclassified MHC-35 on 7 February 1955, her basic duties remained the same until 2 August 1957 when she departed the Naval Station Rodman, C.Z. for Boston and retirement. Owl (MHC-35) decommissioned for the last time 1 November 1957 and was struck from the List of Naval Vessels 17 October 1957.
As LCI(L)-982 she received 2 battle stars for World War II service.