(AM-29: dp. 1,000; l. 180'; b. 35'6"; dr. 9'91/2"; s. 14 k.; a. 2 3", 2 mg.; cl. Lapwing)
A large, hawk-like bird with dark brown back and a white breast, found in most countries of the world.
Osprey, was laid down 14 November 1917 by Gas, Engine & Power Co. and Charles L. Seabury, Morris Heights, N. Y.; launched 14 November 1918; sponsored by Mrs. J. J. Amory, and commissioned 7 January 1919, Lt. Murray Wolffe in command.
After fitting out at New York, Osprey departed Boston with 5 other ships 6 April 1919 for Inverness, Scotland, arriving the 20th to join the North Sea Minesweeping Force. Basing operations at Kirkwall, Orkney Islands, she aided in taking up the North Sea Mine Barrage during the summer, departing Kirkwell 1 October for Davenport. Osprey departed Brest for Lisbon the 15th, with sub-chaser #110 in in tow. She departed Lisbon the 24th for home, arriving Staten Island, N. Y. 17 November. On 4 December, she proceeded to Portsmouth, N.H. where she remained in ordinary until decommissioning 12 December 1920. She then steamed to Boston and was transferred to the Coast and Geodetic Survey 7 April 1922.
Operating with the Commerce Department as Pioneer, the ship was returned to the Navy and commissioned 17 September 1941 as Crusader (ARS-2). The salvage ship operated in the 15th Naval District, headquartered at Balboa, C. Z. throughout World War II. After decommissioning, she was, transferred to the Maritime Commission 13 February 1947.