The first Oakland (Id. No. 2847) retained the name she carried at the time of her acquisition. The second Oakland (CL-95) was named for the city in California.
(Id. No. 2847: displacement 12,000 (normal); length 416'6"; beam 53'; draft 26'5"; speed 10.5 knots; complement 90; armament 1 3-inch, 1 4-inch)
Oakland (2847), ex-War Breeze of the Cunard Line, was built by Moore & Scott, Oakland, Calif.; launched on 14 March 1918; taken over by the U.S. Shipping Board (USSB); commissioned and assigned to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service (NOTS) on 3 June 1918 at San Francisco, Calif., Lt. Cmdr. A. A. Langkilde, USNRF, in command.
Following the delivery of a cargo of flour at New York in July 1918, Oakland made two voyages into the Mediterranean with mixed cargoes: one from Norfolk, Va., to Genoa, Italy, in September 1918, returning to Philadelphia, Pa., on 21 January 1919, and a second to Palermo, Italy, in March returning to New York 1 May.
Oakland was decommissioned on 13 May 1919 and was returned to the USSB the same day. She remained in custody of the Shipping Board until abandoned due to age and deterioration in 1933.