(SS-74: dp. 491 (surf.), 566 (subm.); l 175-; b. 167-; dr. 13-11-; s. 14 k. (surf.), 11 k. (subm.); cpl. 29; a. 1 3-, 4 18- tt.; cl. O-11)
O-13 (SS-74) was laid down by Lake Torpedo Boat Co., Bridgeport, Conn., 6 March 1916; launched 27 December 1917; sponsored by Miss Margaret Arletta Adams; and commissioned at New York 27 November 1918, Lt. Comdr. Earl R. Morrissey in command.
Prior to her commissioning, O-13 rammed and sank Mary Alice, a section patrol boat accompanying the recently completed submarine during her submerged trials in Long Island Sound, 5 October 1918. O-13 struck and holed the patrol ship amidships; although Mary Alice sank within minutes, O-13 rescued her crew.
O-13 operated along the coast of New Jersey and New York until 8 October 1919 when she arrived Philadelphia Navy Yard for a five-month overhaul. After returning to Cape May, N.J., 8 March 1920, she departed 1 April for duty in the Caribbean. Steaming via Key West, Fla., and Havana, Cuba, she arrived Coco Solo, Canal Zone, 30 April.
For over three years O-13 operated out of the Submarine Base at Coco Solo both in the Caribbean and in the Pacific. Cruises sent her to ports in Colombia, Ecuador, and Peru while assigned to Submarine Division 10. Thence, she sailed 15 October 1923 for the United States, arriving Philadelphia 8 November. O-13 decommissioned there 11 June 1924 and was placed in reserve. Her name was struck from the Navy List 9 May 1930, and her hull was sold for scrap 30 July 1930.