(SS-62: dp. 520.6 (surf. n.), 629 (subm.); l 172-4-; b. 18- --; dr. 14-5-; s. 14 k. (surf.), 10.5 k. (subm.); cpl. 29; a. 1.3- tt.; cl. O-1)
O-1, the first of its class of submarine, was laid down 26 March 1917 at the Portsmouth, N.H. Navy Yard; launched 9 July 1918; and commissioned at Portsmouth 5 November 1918, Lt. Comdr. Norman L. Kirk, commanding.
Commissioned just before the Armistice, O-1 operated in the Atlantic coastal waters from Cape Cod to Key West after the war. Reclassified to a 2nd line submarine 25 July 1924 and to a first liner 6 June 1928, O-1 was converted to an experimental vessel 28 December 1930, and operated in an experimental capacity, out of the submarine base at New London, Conn. until decommissioning 11 June 1931. She was struck from the Navy Register 18 May 1938 and sold for scrap.