Named for the city, and county, in Rhode Island.
(LST-1179: displacement 8,792 (full load); length 522'; beam 70'; draft 19'; speed 20.0 k.; complement 230; armament 4 3-inch; class Newport)
The third Newport (LST-1179) was laid down on 1 November 1966 at Philadelphia, Pa., by the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard; launched on 3 February 1968; sponsored by Mrs. Claiborne Pell; and commissioned on 7 June 1969, Cmdr. Derwin T. Lamb in command.
Assigned to the Amphibious Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet, upon commissioning, Newport has alternated amphibious training operations along the east coast of the United States with extended deployments to the Caribbean and Mediterranean.
Decommissioned on 1 October 1992, Newport was transferred to the government of Mexico on 23 May 2001. Her name was stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on 13 July 2001