(StTug: t. 87; l. 75'; b. 18'; dr. 7'; a. 1 24‑pdr., 1 12‑pdr.)
A city in California, south of San Francisco, founded by the Spanish and named for the Count of Monterey in 1598. During the Mexican War, it was captured by a landing force of 250 Marines and Bluejackets under Capt. William Mervine, USMC, 7 July 1846.
The first Monterey, a steam screw tug, was built as Monitor in 1862 by Eden Landing, San Francisco, Calif.; purchased by the Navy from William Mighell 20 April 1863; renamed Monterey 18 May 1863: and placed in service the same day.
The first tug permanently assigned to Mare Island Navy Yard, Monterey served the Navy at that base for nearly three decades, operating in and around Mare Island and San Francisco Bay, towing ships and barges during the shipyard's years of development into one of America's largest shipbuilding centers. Her name was changed to Ivy 3 January 1891 and she was struck from the Naval Register 7 October 1892 and scrapped.