Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Tags
Related Content
Topic
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Mohican III (S. P. 117)

(SP‑117: t. 231; l. 144'; b. 23'; dr. 14'6"; s. 8.6 k.; cpl. 48; a. 1 3", 2 6‑pdrs., 2 mg.)

A tribe of Algonquin Indians which formerly lived on the banks of the Hudson River but were gradually absorbed into the surrounding tribes. The remnants of the Mohicans are now known as the Stockbridge Indians.

III

The third Mohican (S. P. 117), a converted yacht, was built as Lady Godiva by Laird Brothers, Scotland, in 1890; renamed Norseman; acquired from Robert Perkins of New York City on free lease 19 April 1917; and commissioned at New York 7 June 1917, Lt. Peter P. Netland, USNRF, in command.

Assigned to the 3d Naval District as guard boat 1 July 1917, Mohican engaged in patrol and escort duty in New York Harbor and off New York City until 21 August 1918, at times directing the heavy maritime traffic in the lower bay and at others aiding vessels in distress due to fire or collision. On 23 August 1918, Mohican took on board an air observation balloon and aviators and began observation kite balloon duty at the entrance to New York Harbor and Ambrose Channel. She remained on this duty through 25 November and then, following repairs, departed 14 December to assume guard boat and kite balloon duty at Gravesend Bay, Long Island. The patrol craft ceased operations 17 January 1919 and on 15 February was decommissioned at Tebos Yacht Basin, Brooklyn. She was returned to her former owner 17 February.

Published: Wed Feb 10 10:22:24 EST 2016