Named for the Missouri River, an Indian name meaning "muddy waters."
(Ironclad Ram: tonnage 399; length 183'; beam 53'8"; draft 8'3"; 2 XI-inch, 4 IX-inch, 2 32-pounders)
The Confederate ironclad ram Missouri, launched at Shreveport, La., 14 April 1863, was commanded by Lt. J. H. Carter, CSN, and transported troops and served on mining details between Alexandria and Shreveport, above the Red River obstructions.
At the war's end, Missouri came down to Shreveport and surrendered to Acting Rear Adm. Samuel P. Lee's Mississippi Squadron on 3 June 1865. A crew from steamer Ouachita sailed her to the mouth of the Red River.
Taken into the U.S. Navy, the ship was never commissioned because, having been built of green timber, leaked badly. The steamer was dismantled and laid up at Mount City, Ill., after the railroad iron forming her armor had been removed. Missouri was sold at public auction at Mound City to John Riley on 29 November 1865.
Updated and corrected, Robert J. Cressman
2 May 2019