(ARL‑14: dp. 3,960; l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 11'2"; s. 11.6 k.; cpl. 253; a. 8 40mm., 8 20mm.; cl. Achelous)
In Greek mythology, a son of Zeus, who was a king and lawgiver of Crete.
Minos (ARL‑14) was laid down as LST‑644 by Chicago Bridge & Iron Co., Seneca, Ill.; launched 15 September 1944; sponsored by Miss Ruth D. Rix; redesignated Minos (ARL‑14) effective 14 August 1944; and commissioned 26 September 1944 at New Orleans, La., Lt. W. Gray in command.
Following commissioning, Minos sailed to Jacksonville, Fla., where she completed conversion at the Gibbs Gas Engine Co. After training, she steamed to join amphibious force repair units in the Pacific. However, upon termination of hostilities, she returned home, arriving in 1946 in Green Cove Springs, Fla., and decommissioning 18 June 1946 to enter the Atlantic Reserve Fleet, Charleston Group.
With the outbreak of hostilities in Korea, she was recommissioned 22 September 1950. She reported to Commander Amphibious Forces, Atlantic Fleet, at Little Creek, Va., 6 December 1950. She took part in amphibious exercises and performed repair services for the next 4 years. She decommissioned 19 August 1955 at Green Cove Springs and was assigned to Sub‑Group 1, Florida Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet. Minos was stricken from the Naval Register 1 January 1960 and sold to the Portsmouth Salvage Co., Virginia, 18 October 1960.