(AOG‑17: dp. 2,255; l. 220'6"; b. 37'; dr. 13'; s. 10.0 k.; cpl. 58; a. 1 3", 6 20mm.; cl. Mettawee; T. T1‑M‑A1)
An Indian‑named river in Washington County, N.Y.
Mettawee (AOG‑17) was laid down as Clearwater (YOG‑47) by Marine Maintenance Corp. (later named the East Coast Shipyard, Inc.), Bayonne, N.J., 13 August 1942; launched 28 November 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Charles B. Edison; renamed and reclassified Mettawee (AOG‑17) 25 March 1943; acquired by the Navy from the Maritime Commission 5 April 1943; converted by Bethlehem Steel Co., Hoboken, N.J.; and commissioned 26 August 1943, Lt. (jg.) Byron R. Everson, USNR, in command.
Following shakedown off Norfolk from 25 September, Mettawee sailed 21 October for New York City to join a convoy for the Canal Zone. She moored at Balboa until departing 3 December for the southwest Pacific, arriving Bora Bora, Society Islands, the 24th, to load supplies. Mettawee continued on to New Caledonia to debark her cargo after arrival at Noumea 11 January 1944.
She departed 5 February for the New Hebrides, arriving Espiritu Santo 3 days later. From 14 February through April Mettawee served as station tanker off Funafuti Atoll, Ellice Islands.
On 1 May the gasoline tanker departed Funafuti for the Solomons, arriving Tulagi the 6th. She got underway 2 days later on the first of many round trips, transporting aviation gas to Guadalcanal and Bougainville, Solomons; and Funafuti until the end of January 1945. Mettawee departed Tulagi 30 January for the Philippines, via Manus, Admiralties, arriving San Pedro Bay, Leyte, 17 February for supply operations in the Philippines and Borneo area through the fall of that year.
Mettawee then got underway for the west coast, arriving San Francisco to be decommissioned at Mare Island Navy Yard 29 March 1946. She was transferred 10 September 1946 to the Maritime Commission for merchant service as Clearwater.