(T‑AP‑195: dp. 10,210; l. 523'; b. 72'; dr. 26'; s. 17 k.; trp. 3,674; a. none; cl. Marine Adder; T.C4‑S‑A3)
A merchant name retained.
Marine Phoenix (T‑AP‑195) was laid down under Maritime Commission contract by Kaiser Co., Inc., Vancouver, Wash., 16 December 1944; launched 9 August 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Thomas M. Robins; and delivered to her operator, Moore‑McCormack Lines, Inc., 9 November 1945.
In early December Marine Phoenix steamed to Seattle where she embarked occupation troops and sailed for Japan 12 December. She carried her passengers to Nagoya, embarked. homeward‑bound veterans of the Pacific campaigns, and returned to Seattle 4 to 16 January 1946. During the next five months she continued trooplift runs out of Seattle to Japan, Korea, China, the Marianas, and the Hawaiian Islands. In 1947 she entered the Maritime Commission Reserve Fleet at Suisun Bay, Calif., where she remained for 3 years.
Following the invasion of South Korea by North Korean Communists, Marine Phoenix was acquired by the Navy from the Maritime Commission 21 July 1950; placed in service August 1950; and assigned to duty with MSTS. Manned by a civil service crew, she began trooplifts to the Far East later in August and reached Korean waters 2 September. During the next 3 years she bolstered the free world's stand to repel Communist aggression in Korea and completed 19 round trips to the western Pacific and back. Operating out of Seattle and San Francisco, she carried troops and supplies to Japanese and Korean ports including Sasebo, Yokohama, Pusan, and Inchon. In addition during February 1952 she shuttled troops to Kojedo Island in response to mounting unrest among POW-s through Communist agitators. Following the uneasy armistice which ended hostilities in Korea, she returned veterans to the United States. After reaching Seattle from Inchon 5 December 1953, she was placed in reduced operational status until 30 April 1954.
Marine Phoenix, then resumed transport service in the Far East, and during the remainder of the year she made six runs to the western Pacific out of west coast ports including Seattle and San Diego. Returning to Seattle 3 January 1955, she resumed reduced operational status until 4 December; she sailed for South Korea 9 December. She reached Inchon 27 December; shuttled troops to Japan and Okinawa; and, from 3 to 19 January 1956, steamed to the west coast. Between 30 January and 14 March she completed one more round trip to the Far East; then was again in reduced status at Seattle. On 3 November 1958 she arrived Astoria, Oreg., where she transferred to the Maritime Administration and was placed with the National Defense Reserve Fleet in the Columbia River. Her name was struck from the Navy list the same day. Marine Phoenix was sold to Mohawk Shipping Inc., 25 April 1967, converted to a general cargo ship and renamed Mohawk.
Marine Phoenix received eight battle stars for Korean service.