An Indian chief of the Licatiut Tribe in California.
(YN‑53: displacement 112; length 83'; beam 18'7"; draft 9'; speed 11 knots)
The first Marin (YN‑53) was built as Pacific, a wooden-hulled vessel, by Harbor Boat Works of San Pedro, Calif., in 1929; purchased by the Navy on 14 November 1940 from Sam Bracco & Associates; initially assigned the name Sparrow and classified as a coastal minesweeper (AMc31); but converted and placed in service as a net tender (boom) on 8 March 1941 at San Diego, Calif., as Marin (YN‑53), Lt. (j.g.) Volney H. Craig, USNR, in command.
Completing sea trials, Marin was taken in tow by oiler Sabine (AO-25) and entered Pearl Harbor, T.H., on 22 April 1941. She tended nets in the 14th Naval District throughout World War II, and on 8 April 1942 was reclassified to a district net tender (YNT‑21).
Returned to San Diego, Marin was placed out of service on 18 June 1946; stricken from the Navy list on 19 July; and transferred to the Maritime Commission on 4 March 1947 for disposal.
Updated and expanded by Mark L. Evans
9 November 2016