(AN‑81: dp. 775; l. 168'6"; b. 3'10"; dr. 10'10"; sp. 12.3 k.; cpl. 46; a. 1 3", 4 20mm.; cl. Cohoes)
A suburb of Philadelphia, Pa. A Delaware Indian word meaning "place where we drank."
Laid up almost continually from her launching date of 18 December 1864 on, monitor Manayunk was renamed Ajax (q.v.) 15 June 1869 prior to commissioning 1 January 1871.
The second Manayunk was laid down as YN‑100 by the Commercial Iron Works, Portland, Oreg.; 18 December 1944; redesignated AN‑81, 17 January 1945; launched 30 March 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Bryan Wallace Strong; and commissioned 25 May 1945, Lt. M. S. Shaw in command.
Following shakedown and training, Manayunk steamed for the central Pacific for duty with Minecraft, Pacific Fleet. She operated in the Marianas, primarily in the Saipan‑Tinian area, laying and maintaining nets and moorings until the spring of 1946. On 3 May, she departed Saipan for Pearl Harbor and the west coast. Arriving at Astoria 2 June, she decommissioned 19 July and was placed in reserve. The ship remained a unit of the 19th Fleet until June 1961 when she was transferred to the Maritime Administration and placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet. She continued to be listed as Navy owned until formally turned over to the Maritime Administration in September 1962 at Olympia; her name was then struck from the Navy list.
As of 1968 she remains a unit of the MARAD Reserve Fleet at Olympia.