(PC‑553: dp. 280; l. 173'8"; b. 23'; dr. 6'6" (mean); s. 22 k.; cpl. 65; a. 18", 1 40mm., 3 20mm., 2 dct.; cl. PC‑461)
The capital of Franklin County in northeast New York: a port of entry near the boundary between the United States and Canada selected by the Irish‑American Fenians as their base for the invasion of Canada in 1866.
Malone (PC‑553) was laid down as PC‑553 by Sullivan Dry Dock & Repair Co., Brooklyn, N.Y., 20 December 1941; launched 30 May1942; sponsored by Miss Marjorie M. McAllister; and commissioned at New York Navy Yard 12 October 1942, Ens. Benjamin T. Fairchild, USNR, in command.
On 12 November PC‑558 got underway for shakedown off Boston, Mass. She returned to New York for patrol and escort duty with the eastern sea frontier based at Tompkinsville, Staten Island, into late 1943.
PC‑553 sailed for Norfolk, Va., 21 December, arriving 2 days later. On 5 January 1944 she departed Norfolk in convoy, reaching Horta, Azores, the 17th to report for duty with the 12th Fleet. The submarine chaser spent the next year supporting the European war with patrol, escort, and supply operations out of Dartmouth, Plymouth, and Devon, England. After the German surrender of 7 May 1945, PC‑553 got underway 6 June in convoy from Le Havre, France, for the east coast, arriving Key West, Fla., in late June.
Assigned to Service Force 2, Atlantic Fleet, PC‑553 operated along the east coast until 10 May 1916 when she became part of the 16th (Reserve) Fleet. Placed out of commission, in reserve 9 July, in January 1947 she entered the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Green Cove Springs, Fla., where she remained for more than a decade. On 1 February 1956 the submarine chaser was renamed Malone. Struck from the Navy list 5 September 1957, Malone was sold to Boston Metals Co., Baltimore, Md., for scrapping at New York on 1 July 1968.