(AM‑44: dp. 950; l. 187'10"; b. 35'6"; dr. 9'9-" (mean); s. 14 k.; cl. Lapwing)
The common wild duck, Anas platyrhynches, of either sex, of the Northern Hemisphere. The domestic ducks are descended from it.
The first Mallard (AM‑44) was laid down by Staten Island Shipbuilding Co., New York, N.Y., 25 May 1918; launched 17 December 1918; sponsored by Mrs. Harry R. Brayton, wife of the commanding officer at commissioning; and commissioned 25 June 1919, Lt. (jg.) Harry R. Brayton in command.
Assigned to the Atlantic Fleet, Mallard conducted minesweep duties in the 3d Naval District through the next 9 years. Transferred to submarine rescue operations following conversion at Boston Navy Yard June to December 1928, Mallard was redesignated ASR‑4 on 12 September 1929. From January to March 1929 she joined S‑4 (SS‑109) in experimental maneuvers off Key West, Fla.
The next year Mallard sailed for Coco Solo, her new home port, for patrol off Panama, where she remained throughout World War II attached to Submarine Squadron 3. During that time she performed target‑towing and diver‑training services for ships of the fleet.
In May 1946 she sailed for the east coast, arriving New York Navy Yard to be decommissioned 10 December and stripped. On 22 May 1947 Mallard was used as a target ship and sunk by torpedo fire from Piper (SS‑409).