(AMc‑2: dp. 210; l. 85'4"; b. 23'4"; s. 10 k.; a. 2 .30 cal. mg.)
Any of numerous birds, especially of the genus Pica, related to the crow, but having a long graduated tail and black and white plumage, who are known for their noisy chatter.
The first Magpie (AMc‑2) was built as City of San Pedro in 1936 by Harbor Boat Building Co., Terminal Island, Calif.; acquired by the Navy 18 October 1940; converted from a fishing vessel by Harbor Boat Building Co., Terminal Island, Calif.; renamed Magpie 29 October 1940; and placed in service 28 March 1941.
Assigned to the 15th Naval District, Magpie departed San Pedro 10 May 1941 for the Panama Canal Zone, arriving 22 May. She performed minesweeping and patrol operations out of Balboa until 7 August 1944 when she departed for the west coast, arriving San Diego 26 August. Magpie was placed out of service at San Pedro 6 October 1944; struck from the Navy list 22 December 1944; and delivered to WSA for return sale to her former owner 5 February 1945.
The name Magpie was assigned to AM‑418 on 25 July 1945; but the contract with Defoe Shipbuilding Co., Bay City, Mich., was canceled 11 August 1945.