Naval History and Heritage Command

Naval History and Heritage Command

Related Content
  • Boats-Ships--Frigate
Document Type
  • Ship History
Wars & Conflicts
File Formats
Location of Archival Materials

Lyman (DE-302)

(DE‑302: dp. 1,140; l. 289'5"; b. 35'1"; dr. 8'3"; s. 21 k.; cpl. 156; a. 3 3", 4 1.1", 9 20mm., 8 dcp., Idcp. (h.h.), 2 dct.; cl. Evarts)

Chan Lyman, born in the township of Grandriver, Cass County, Mo., 30 December 1912, enlisted in the Navy 23 August 1928 and completed 4 years In the Naval Reserve. After earning his Merchant Marine officer-s license, he was commissioned ensign In the Naval Reserve 16 January 1940.

Following Pearl Harbor he was called to active duty and reported 9 January 19U to fleet oiler Neosho (AO‑23). On 7 May during the Battle of the Coral Sea, Neosho and her escorting destroyer were attacked by three separate flights of aircraft. Ensign Lyman lost his life when eight bombs and a suicide plane set his ship afire.

Lyman (DE‑302) was laid down 22 April 1943 by Mare Island Navy Yard, Calif.; launched 19 August 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Chan Lyman, wife of Ensign Lyman; and commissioned 19 February 1944, Lt. Comdr. James W. Wilson In command.

Lyman cleared San Francisco Bay 23 April 1944 for duty at Pearl Harbor as a training ship. With other destroyer escorts, she acted as target for fleet submarines and screen for escort carriers training flight squadrons. On 20 August she departed Pearl Harbor and began 13 months screening the vital supply ships of the 3d and 5th Fleets. Arriving off Kossol Passage 20 September, she screened the Western Garrison Group during the invasions of the Palau Islands. Departing Peleliu 22 October, Lyman formed part of the wort which brought the 1st Marines to the Russell Islands.

Her first port availability period at Manus, Admiralty Islands, was marked 7 November by the explosion of an ammunition ship nearby. A week later at Ulithi, a Japanese midget submarine managed to torpedo an oiler in the same anchorage. Lyman weighed anchor 16 December, screening auxiliaries supporting the invasion of Lingayen Gulf, Luzon. She returned to Ulithi 14 January 1945, but again early in February was at sea protecting a replenishment group during the capture of Iwo Jima. Her logistic support group was also in the Ryukyus from 22 March to 11 June supporting the fierce struggle for strategically important Okinawa. During this later action a typhoon of 5 June caused the ship to roll 65° and accomplished what enemy action had been unable to achieve: the withdrawal of Lyman for repairs.

Underway again 3 July, the destroyer escort ended the war guarding the supply ships of the 3d Fleet then striking the Japanese home islands. Entering Tokyo Bay 30 August with a group of tankers, she remained to witness the surrender ceremony of 2 September. Departing the next day she steamed eastward collecting passengers at each stop. She debarked 80 veterans at San Francisco 8 October.

Inactivation began almost immediately and was completed after Lyman sailed to Richmond, Calif., 8 November. Decommissioned 5 December 1945, she was sold to the Puget Sound Navigation Co., Seattle, Wash., 26 December 1946.

Lyman received five battle stars for World War II service.

Published: Thu Apr 28 02:40:07 EDT 2016