LST-883 was laid down on 16 November 1944 at Evansville, Ind., by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.; launched on 30 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. L. D. McBride; and commissioned on 23 January 1945, Lt. Winfield H. Cook in command.
During World War II, LST-883 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto in June 1945. She was decommissioned on 20 April 1946 and transferred to the Army. Recommissioned on 1 July 1950, LST-883 performed extensive service during the Korean War. On 1 July 1955, she was redesignated La Moure County (LST-883) (q.v.) after a county in North Dakota. Operating with the Pacific Fleet after the war, La Moure County was decommissioned again on 7 December 1959. Struck from the Navy list on 1 July 1960, the ship was sold to Zidell Explorations Corp., Portland, Oreg., on 30 November 1960.
LST-883 earned one battle star for World War II service and seven battle stars for the Korean War.