LST-84 was laid down on 13 April 1943 at Jeffersonville, Ind., by the Jeffersonville Boat & Machine Co.; launched on 26 June 1943; sponsored by Mrs. W. Raymond Brendel; and commissioned on 14 August 1943. During World War II, LST- 84 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the following operations:
Gilbert Islands operation:
(a) Occupation of Kwajalein and Majuro Atolls-February 1944
(a) Capture and occupation of Saipan-June and July 1944
Tinian capture and occupation-July 1944
Assault and occupation of Iwo Jima-February and March 1945
Following the war, LST-84 was redesignated LSTH-84 on 15 September 1945. She performed occupation duty in the Far East until early March 1946.
Upon her return to the United States, the ship was decommissioned on 2 March 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 October 1947. On 20 April 1948, she was sold to the Bethlehem Steel Co., of Seattle, Wash., and subsequently scrapped.
LSTH-84 earned five battle stars for World War II service as LST-84.