LST-791 was laid down on 16 July 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 26 August 1944; sponsored by Mrs. John Fetsko; and commissioned on 27 September 1944.
During World War II, LST-791 was assigned to the Asiatic-Pacific theater and participated in the assault and occupation of Okinawa Gunto from April through June 1945. Following the war, LST-791 performed occupation duty in the Far East until mid-November 1945. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 28 May 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 3 July that same year. On 4 June 1948, the ship was sold to the Walter W. Johnson Co. for scrapping.
LST-791 earned one battle star for World War II service.